Over the last couple of months, I've been busy with work and physical therapy to strengthen muscles in my back that are meant to work with my neck. The surgery corrected one area, but lots of exercises and frequent walks are helping improve and loosen up my neck and upper back muscles. I'm constantly having to remind myself about my posture, most importantly at my computer. (Don't slouch, you'll regret it later!)
My reef is now four months old, and everything is growing steadily.
Here's the entry that goes into more detail and has a bunch more images included:
Seven days ago, I discovered my carpet was wet where you enter my home. Immediately I checked the angled tank and the plumbing in the closet. Everything was dry. Feeling the carpet as I backed up, I discovered that it was wet all the way back to my reef tank. I opened the left wooden column of the woodwork only to see soaked wood and my tank dripping from the upper left corner. I thought I'd try to save it.
1825 days later, my 280g turns five. :D
The 280g page has been updated with the latest equipment and livestock in use. Some of the coral's have been linked to older images, which I plan to update to newer ones since they've grown in size.
Feeding has been updated, cleaning tools listed, as well as other equipment linked.
I'm heading out to Southern California for the rest of this week. If you need to reach me, you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I'll try to reply when possible. I'll be visiting some local fish stores, some wholesalers, a number of hobbyists' reef tanks, and then Saturday & Sunday I'll be at the Marine Aquarium Expo in Orange County Fairgrounds. If you are in SoCal, I hope to see you there!
Here is a picture of the 280g reef as of yesterday.
The new tank is maintaining well. Temperatures range between 79 and 81F from day to day. pH tends to run rather low, around 7.9 to 8.1 but I recently started dripping Kalkwasser to see if that will elevate the levels to 8.3.
I added additional locline to the existing returns, to the point that I could flex them upward like the hump of a camel's back. I drilled several anti-siphon holes in the underside of the hump, and no longer is there a risk of the sump overflowing.
Oh my god, I believe I'm about to upgrade to a huge tank! Stay tuned. ;)
In an effort to get rid of my Aiptasia, I've tried a number of methods, including kalkwasser paste injections, Joe's Juice, and adding nine Peppermint Shrimp to my 55g. What I'm seeing is more and more of these glass anemones. Yesterday while at the LFS, I saw a baby Copperband Butterfly fish, and wanted to buy it on the spot. However, they advised me not to put it in my reef, and I left empty-handed.
While studying my refugium very closely tonight, I saw a tiny shell move. I watched intently, but it was so small that I had to get a magnification loop to see whether it was a itty bitty hermit crab or a snail. The shell is the shape of a Cerith snail, and I didn't try to touch it to see if it was hard or soft. It turns out it is a tiny snail, and it travels on the sand and the acrylic walls. I checked the other refugium and found more of them. I don't know where they came from, and I'm hoping they aren't something I'm going to regret later.
All the return pumps were cleaned tonight. While working on that, I pulled out the Aqua C Ev-200 protein skimmer and cleaned it thoroughly, because it wasn't pulling out enough junk for the past few weeks.
When I removed the spray injectors, I found a shell in one - possibly a stomatella shell. That was enough of an obstruction to impede the amount of spray injection, which is why the foam couldn't build up in the tower properly. I replaced some of the plastic hoseclamps on the tubing running from the pump to the skimmer.