Today marks 3.5 years since the 400g went up for the second time. November 10th, 2013 was the day all the livestock was moved from the temporary 215g tank into the 400g and the 60g anemone cube. This would be Day 1278.
If you follow my youtube channel, you've probably heard how I have to get my arms wet and really cull the 400g reef because the growth at the top is shadowing everything beneath, and those things beneath have little chance of living. I hate to have to rip out these big colonies, but there's no choice. Here are a bunch of pictures of the tank today. I've also included some images of the Anemone Cube.
Today is the 3rd day of 2017. What all did you do to your tank over the past couple of days to prep it for the new year? And if you did a lot of things, every wonder if that was a good idea or a bad one...?
Sometimes we get really proactive and attack our system, fixing everything we can while our hands are wet, so to speak. "I'll clean this, adjust that, add this... might as well correct that... remove this, push this over, glue this down, etc.." and it kinda devours your time and you change so many things at once, it can be detrimental.
Thursday, November 10th was the three year anniversary of the 400g reef and the 60g Anemone cube. Here's a big update about everything, including a throwback video of the tank 3 years and 1 day ago to show you where it all started. I also show you a method I use to clean out my sump that you might like to emulate. My trip to New Jersey for the Reef & Reptile Expo is also mentioned -- hope you can make it.
Today is the 2.5 year anniversary of the 400g reef 2.0, which is when all the livestock was re-added to the new 400g reef aquarium. Originally I'd set up my reef in 2011, but after a leak occurred all livestock was moved out while the tank was replaced, and exactly 2.5 years ago I restarted again. Over time, everything has been growing, which you've been tracking via my blogs or youtube videos.
Here's a couple of pictures from November 2013.
If a bubble tip anemone moves, that can make a hobbyist nervous. It could sting some corals, or get sucked into a pump's intake. In my anemone cube, that's nearly impossible. Today's event was amusing because not only was the creature shifting to a potentially better spot, but the clownfish were going along for the ride. They were unwilling to accept the change, even though there are plenty of stationary bubble tips available throughout the tank. Here are a series of pictures from this evening's meanderings.
Back in November 2013, I set up the 400g anew after a very long wait for the aquarium to arrive. I got my rockwork just right, added my corals, adjusted the lighting period, and tended to my reef. My general rule is keep my hands out of the tank, something I tell people often. Here's the reef, two years later. Some things have obviously moved, but the majority of what you see is what I had back then, just smaller.
From October 2014 to October 2015, here's how my reef has changed for the better.
Yesterday I made this comparison image of my reef, showing where it was Oct 2014 and where it is now. People often ask me how I'm able to grow it out like this, and the first thing I say is "I keep my hands out of the tank as much as possible." Also, I don't frag stuff (although I will be soon). I like to let everything grow nice and big, and only interact to move things if necessary. I definitely never overreact when I see a problem.
Today my reef turns 23 months old. I've still got plenty to do: Install the NYOS protein skimmer, plumb in the Vectra L1 return pump, and get a new frag system built. Here's a picture of the two tanks side by side.
More images and discussion about today is here on ReefAddicts.com: http://www.reefaddicts.com/entry.php/29287-Month-23-Day-690