Submitted by melev on Fri, 06/02/2006 - 12:11
Over the three day weekend, I spent time repainting the house. Finally.
Submitted by melev on Sat, 05/13/2006 - 15:18
Water tests were completed yesterday. While it is important to test the water often, I find myself putting it off for various reasons. I think the biggest reason is because I worry the water results will come back negatively, and it'll be one more issue that needs to be dealt with. Yesterday's results were pretty good, which was a nice surprise.
Submitted by melev on Wed, 12/14/2005 - 16:38
Reef parameters have been updated. Alkalinity and Calcium have risen quite a bit since the Calcium Reactor was cleaned out and refilled. Phosphates are up again, which is so hard for me to believe. I'll test it again tonight to see if the first reading was false. There are 11 fish in the tank now, and I feed less than before. The Phosban Reactors were refilled about 10 days ago, and PO4 should really have dropped completely. Strange.
Submitted by melev on Sun, 11/27/2005 - 13:48
Yesterday, all water parameters were tested and logged.
Then I changed out both Phosban Reactors with media, and used twice as much as last time. (12 heaping teaspoons per reactor) I also changed the carbon in the third reactor to help remove toxins from the water. All associated pumps were thoroughly cleaned.
Submitted by melev on Mon, 08/29/2005 - 10:40
Time for a long overdue update. First of all, water tests have been published. Nitrates are sky high, but I have a feeling that the nitrate test kit is faulty. Jimmy Walls came over with his test kit and the reading was much lower, like under 10ppm. Mine says 75ppm. Just in case, I'm treating the tank with Algone, a product that is supposed to absorb nitrate. I may have to pick up another kit just to get further comparison numbers.
Submitted by melev on Thu, 06/23/2005 - 13:01
I tested my water a couple of times over the past few days to see if Phosphates are rising again. The Pura-Pads were removed as they looked "full" to me, and the Tunze Silphos system was returned to the vendor that lent it to me to try out.
Submitted by melev on Thu, 06/02/2005 - 11:24
I tested my water today, and still have wild numbers. It really is discouraging, as I was hoping for things to level out. Phosphates don't seem to be coming down whatsoever, but my refugium is very empty currently. I need to quit sharing macros until that section is dense with plants again.
I made the time to vacuum the sump of detritus. I know this question comes up often enough on RC about how to clean your sump out, since it is level with the floor. What I did was use what I had handy:
Submitted by melev on Tue, 02/01/2005 - 02:22
At last, February 1. During the month of January, the website had a ton of traffic that consumed 94.5 gigs of bandwidth! My hosting company was kind enough to bump my bandwidth up from 80 gigs to 95 gigs, which was just barely enough. Over 15,000 new visitors were logged in the statistics page, and over 2.2 million hits were recorded. That is a massive amount of attention of a mere hobbyist's site.
Submitted by melev on Sat, 12/20/2003 - 19:29
I did a small water change on the 29g last night, and today the BTA was big and fluffy and happy. I need to check the Nitrates, but I think I need to do a series of water changes on this tank to get them lowered further. I believe they are the reason this tank hasn't done as well as it has in the past.
Submitted by melev on Fri, 12/12/2003 - 07:02
Trying to reduce nitrates in the 29g, I did a 10g water change last night. I never like doing water changes, as it exposes corals to air and the pumps blow bubbles everywhere when restarted. The evils of water changes.... :(