Submitted by melev on Mon, 07/12/2004 - 02:46
I've been meaning to update my Blog for some time now, but things keep getting in the way. A few days ago, I took pictures of every creature I could in the 55g reef. Here's the page.
Submitted by melev on Fri, 07/02/2004 - 00:31
I built some cooling fan brackets for a club member, so I felt they needed to be added to a webpage. I incorporated the cooling fans on my 55g to the same page, since they were only listed in these logs and wouldn't be found otherwise.
While feeding the tanks tonight, I noticed Peaches was out a little more, and the brusing I observed seem lessened. There's hope yet.
Submitted by melev on Fri, 06/25/2004 - 03:16
I went to Dallas Marine today because they were giving away the eels they had, and picked up a Snowflake eel. Another club member has one in his reef tank, so I felt it wasn't a huge risk. Still, it is going in my son's 29g where it can't cause too much trouble. Hiding in a piece of LR (live rock), I decided to see what else came with it:
Submitted by melev on Mon, 06/21/2004 - 00:52
More bad news about the Rose BTA. This guy is really going to be a struggle to keep alive. For some reason, my Cleaner Shrimp just loves that anemone and continues to find a way to get past one barrier after another, and I find it standing in the anemone picking it clean. If the anemone was strong and healthy I wouldn't worry, but since the clown fish nibbled off all the tentacles it is pretty darn defenseless.
Submitted by melev on Sat, 06/05/2004 - 00:16
Here is a new bicolor blenny, peeking out from the frilly mushrooms. Interestingly, the lower mushroom didn't like the little guy and deflated pretty quickly. It should be interesting to see where this little guy ends up in the future.
Submitted by melev on Thu, 06/03/2004 - 00:57
My crazy Cleaner Shrimp is hosting in my Rose BTA now. Literally, it stands in the anemone and just hangs out. Amazing.
One of the benefits of selling RO/DI units, I have plenty of filters on hand at any time. So I swapped out the sediment and carbon block prefilters this week, since it is June. I'll change them again in December, as this seems like an easy way to remember.
Submitted by melev on Mon, 05/24/2004 - 05:03
Finally! The BTA is done splitting. It only took about two months for it to finish.
I now have three baby BTAs in my 29g. I would have had four, but one disintegrated due to lack of food. My mistake... I was waiting for it to come out in the open to be fed and didn't make it a priority to feed it, and it just melted away one afternoon to my surprise.
I feed the BTAs every other day with krill or shrimp. Now I'll make sure to feed each one of these guys.
Submitted by melev on Sat, 05/15/2004 - 02:24
Running the T-5s today, I noticed two things. The tank looked the same as when I've run VHO actinics, so the new bulbs are working out perfectly. The other thing I noticed is the tank is running a half degree lower than usual, and that is a good thing. Less heat, less wattage, same look! So far, I'm happy. :)
Submitted by melev on Fri, 05/14/2004 - 05:27
Two new things to share today:
I installed the new High Output lighting to supplement my Metal Halides, because I felt they would save me money in bulbs and in wattage consumed each day: T-5 Lighting
I fell in love with a baby Tridacna maxima clam, and traded in a rock covered with more than 30 red mushrooms in exchange.
Submitted by melev on Sat, 05/01/2004 - 00:27
I added a new webpage for those concerned about flatworms.
It turns out I ordered the wrong kind of B-Ionic, so I ordered the right kind now. The wrong stuff is specially designed to be used with tanks that have high pH all the time. It is up for sale, as I can't ship it back.